Monday, August 5, 2013

Need prayers

This trip has been hard. I do not want to give you the false impression that this has been all fun and games. I have only made it this far through the strength of God.  I don’t say that to sound pious, it is just the truth. When it becomes too much God sends something or someone to help me through it. The moment I stop praying here I can’t be the witness God made me to be. This post will be a bit shorter. I don’t have as much to say.
Today, while coming back from visiting a Peace Corps member, Father and I saw 5 men on motorcycles on the side of the road. He stopped to see if they needed help and we saw a man lying on the ground not moving. Father could not see well, but I could. I knew the man was gravely wounded. He had crashed on the motorcycle and flew over the handlebars, with no helmet on.  I will not go into detail but we knew it was serious. The men threw him in the back of Fathers car and we sped towards the hospital.
The doctors here are not trained as well as in America, they have the equivalent of a nursing degree. They do not have the knowledge or equipment to be able to handle most severe cases.  The man had what looked like severe head trauma and internal bleeding. His breathing was labored and sounded filled with blood. They do not think he will make it. Pray for him and his loved ones.
The U.S. and most developed countries have made everything sterilized. We do not come into contact with these types of things. We do not embrace death. We don’t see death in that way often. There are people in the U.S. who get mad over the killing of animals for food. This man had no one. No one besides one passer by, Father, and I even cared enough to bring him to the hospital. Cars flew by, some slowed down then drove away. At the hospital we pulled up and the one nurse who came out to see looked inside the car and went inside to get gauze. Father yelled at him to get the doctors to help and he slowly walked to get them. It was infuriating. Typing this I am almost in tears for this man. His family, at this very moment, has no clue. They do not know their daddy and husband is not coming home.
Death is hard to handle. I do not want to make this post about me. I want it to be a way for this man to be remembered. Having said that, though, it was hard to take in. Pray for me also, and I will be praying for you and that man. The only thing keeping me going this time is I have to pray for that man. Please help me, and pray for me.
Brian Kearney

8 comments:

  1. Praying for you both! You are doing great things over there Brian, God will give you the strength to make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    I think I screwed up my reply to your post. I will give a briefer version. I am praying for you every hour and even more often than that since you are in my mind and heart much of the time. I'm so sorry for that poor man and his family. I'm so sorry that you experienced such a tragedy and then so little caring from others. I would suspect that people in Uganda have experienced death, first hand, much of their lives and that it doesn't affect them as much as it did you. God has blessed you with a loving and caring heart. I can't imagine that you would ever react the way others did.
    I will pray for the man and his family, and also continue to pray for you. I know your trip hasn't been all fun and games and that you have been changed forever by this experience as you have changed the lives of others who have gotten to know you.
    Please continue to be safe and I so look forward to seeing you in a week.
    God bless you, my friend,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to a Cursillo team mass tonight then to adoration at Epiphany for an hour to lift you up in prayer.

    Mr. Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog post here has been shared many times on Facebook, so you can bet that all of your communities (plural) are praying for the man, his family and friends, and for you. Dear, you are seeing more in your short time there, and many of us will see (or ever want to see) in our entire lives. It may not seem to make sense now, but I hope in time that it will. Take care, Brian. Peace be with you. Karen Przybylski

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying daily Brian. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Brother in Christ, i just read your blogs tonight. I will pray for the injured man, his family, & the lives he touched after his accident (whether the lives seemed 'touched'or not). I do not believe in coincidence. You and Father were where you needed to be, when you needed to be. The man needed good samaritans -that could pray for him! God didn't provide some 'Joe Cool' to transport him to medical care; He provided you &Father to not only get him where he needed, but He knew you could provide prayer &compassion for him. Do not be discouraged when you provide your best, God knows your heart. Tomorrow is a new day& there will be more work to be done. Let your light shine, the Spirit is alive in you. I will pray for your journey, &pray for your strength to feel renewed each new day. God's Blessings to you and Father.
    In Christian Love, Mrs Lisa Feig (St Pauls Lutheran, Benson)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brian, I am and have been praying for you. You are making a difference in so many ways. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin tells me that the little kids have helped to restore your spirits. I hope you're doing ok. I can't believe you'll be home in a week. I hope you enjoy the rest of the time you have there. Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete